Dr. Rosen explains what the VisiOffice is used for and how this new technology works.
1) Please describe what the VisiOffice is used for and give a basic sense of how it works.
The VisiOffice is used to provide exact measurements for fitting glasses, especially no-line multifocals. It takes video images of patients wearing their chosen frame to perform a number of calculations.
2) How does the VisiOffice assist in the measurement and dispensing of Ophthalmic lenses?
The VisiOffice determines the exact position of each eye behind the frame. In addition, it determines the amount of tilt the frame has relative to the face, the amount of wrap around the face and the distance from the eyes to the back of the frame.
3) What is it about this particular technology that you find most exciting; the component that
made you feel you need to invest in this for your practice?
Some of the measurements the VisiOffice gives us are unavailable with old fashioned, manual measurement techniques. It is impossible to fit some of the state-of-the-art digital no-line multifocals without these measurements. The result is we can provide our patients with better vision at all distances, little or no distortion, and very few problems adapting to new glasses.
4) Can you describe the patient experience when using the VisiOffice?
Patients stand in front of the VisiOffice wearing their chosen frame. A target frame is clipped onto their frame. They then look at a point on the VisiOffice and when instructed, turn their head to the side.
5) Do your patients appreciate the upgrade in technology?
Yes, they see that we are using the most up to date methods to make sure they are seeing as clearly as possible. They have confidence knowing we use modern technology in all phases of their care.
6) How does this technology improve patient care and education?
Before the VisiOffice, our opticians used strictly manual devices, such as holding a millimeter ruler against the frame and “eye balling” where the patients’ pupils were positioned. There was much more room for error.
7) Are there specific patients for whom the use of VisiOffice is particularly helpful or useful?
The VisiOffice works particularly well for No Line Multifocal (Bifocal) wearers. Why? Determining factors like wrap angle, tilt angle, and distance from frame to eye allows the lab to customize the shape of the intermediate and near zones, resulting in more natural viewing at all distances. It also allows for little or no distortions at the sides of the lenses.
8) Can you share a particular story, in which by using the VisiOffice, you were able to provide a patient with a solution which you would not have been able to provide using previous technology?
We have several patients who had given up on wearing no line multifocal lenses. We asked them to try again using digital progressive lenses and using measurements taken from our VisiOffice instrument. Success! Some very excited as they could “finally get rid of the lines” from their glasses and also benefit from clear vision at all distances.
9) Why did you choose this supplier to purchase this particular equipment from?
We determined that the VisiOffice was superior to similar instruments because the VisiOffice’s video technology allows for the greater accuracy, eye to frame distance measurements, and the tilt and wrap angles. Many of the other instruments only provide for pupil positioning.